1 head cauliflower
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets. Cook in salted boiling water until tender. Drain.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, add the flour and cook for 1 - 2 minutes, stirring constantly, making sure the roux does not brown.
- Remove from heat and with whisk add the milk gradually, to make a smooth, lump free sauce.
- Return to medium heat and bring to the boil, whisking until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of the wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat, add the mustard, 1 cup grated cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place cooked cauliflower in a shallow baking dish, pour cheese sauce over to coat the florets and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown
- Serve hot