1 large onion, halved and sliced
2-1/2 pounds boneless pork roast
1 cup hot water
¼ cup white sugar
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 dash hot pepper sauce
- Arrange sliced onion evenly in the bottom of the slow cooker and place the roast on top of the onion.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the water, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, pepper, salt, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce.
- Pour over the roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
- When done, remove the meat from the slow cooker and transfer to a serving platter.
- Cover with aluminium foil to rest and keep warm.
- Thicken broth with a cornstarch slurry to use as a gravy