5 slices bacon, thick-cut...
Vegetable oil, as needed
1 7-ounce boneless ham steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced (1/2-inch)
1 20-ounce bag refrigerated hash brown potatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Fried or poached eggs, for serving (optional)
- Cook the bacon in a large (12-inch) skillet over medium heat, turning once, until crisp and browned, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- Pour the fat from the skillet into a small bowl.
- You should have 5 tablespoons; add vegetable oil, if needed.
- Return 3 tablespoons bacon fat to the skillet over medium heat.
- Add the ham and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is golden, about 7 minutes.
- Add the hash browns and cook until the underside is mostly golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons bacon fat over the potatoes.
- Using a metal spatula, turn the hash browns over in sections.
- Continue cooking until the other side is mostly golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the hash is completely golden brown, about 5 minutes more.
- Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.
- If desired, top each serving with a fried or poached egg, 6 servings.