2/3 cups sugar
2 T. fresh orange juice (add zested peel too if you like)
1 t. vanilla
1/2 cup blanched chopped almonds
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1 cup raisins (try a mixture of dark and golden)
1 1/2 cup currants
1/2 cup ctiron, chopped
1/2 cup candied cherries
Whole or sliced blanched almonds and candied cherries for decorations.
- Preheat oven to 275.
- Grease and flour two 4.5 x 9 inch loaf pans or four small loaf pans.
- An option is to line them with foil and grease it as well.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar, mixing well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating 5 minutes after each egg.
- Stir in the orange juice, vanilla and almonds. (and zest if using)
- Sift the flour together with the salt and baking powder in another large bowl.
- Add the fruit and mix by hand until well floured.
- Add the fruit to the butter/sugar mixture and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans
- Decorate the tops with cherries and almonds in festive designs.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven checking with doneness with a toothpick or cake tester.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes and then remove to cool completely.
- When cool, wrap in aluminum foil and freeze until needed