Sweet layers of cake and a cheesecake center all wrapped in chocolate buttercream frosting. Because the recipe uses boxed cake mixes...it makes two cakes. Luckily the cake freezes beautifully and can be eaten at a later date. Thank you Shugary Sweets
For the cheesecake layer:
2 package (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate cake layer:
1 boxed mix for chocolate cake (with ingredients according to package)
For the strawberry cake layer:
1 boxed mix for strawberry cake (with ingredients according to package)
For the frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbsp chocolate syrup
3 Tbsp milk
- Start with the cheesecake layer:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place a large roasting pan with a few inches of water in it on a rack in the lower 2/3 of the oven.
- Prepare 9-inch springform pan by placing a piece of parchment paper on the plate portion of the pan.
- Tighten the ring and set aside.
- Beat cream cheese with granulated sugar for 2-3 minutes until creamy.
- Add in salt and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Pour into prepared 9-inch springform pan.
- Place in preheated oven on middle rack.
- Bake cheesecake for about 50 minutes, until beginning to brown.
- Turn oven off and allow cheesecake to sit in oven for an additional 45-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on counter.
- When cooled, using a butter knife to run along the edges of the pan and release the cheesecake.
- Cover the cheesecake with plastic wrap and freeze until ready to use.
- Prepare chocolate and strawberry cakes according to package directions, in 9-inch cake pans.
- You will only need one layer of each cake for this recipe, so store the extra cake in the freezer for a later date.
- For the frosting, beat butter for 2-3 minutes until pale yellow.
- Add powdered sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate syrup and milk and beat for an additional 5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- To assemble place the chocolate layer cake on the cake platter first.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the cheesecake and place top side down over the chocolate cake layer,
- Remove the springform pan plate and peel off the parchment paper from the cheesecake.
- Top with the layer of strawberry cake.
- Cover in chocolate frosting
- Dip fresh strawberries in melted dipping chocolate to use as a garnish.